Making a claim
If you need to make a claim, contact your insurer as soon as possible and ask them to send you a claim form. They may be able to email this to you to speed things up. Complete the claim form carefully and keep a copy for yourself, uploading to unadox service.
Check the following things before you send off your claim:
- you’re within the time limits for making a claim
- you’re covered for what you’re claiming for
- how much the excess is. The excess is the amount of money that your insurer will take off the claim. It may not be worth making a claim if the amount you’re claiming for is less than this
- the small print. Make sure there’s nothing in the terms and conditions that prevents you from claiming
- whether it’s a new for old policy. If it isn’t, the amount you get for items you’re claiming for will be less than the cost of replacing them. This is because the insurer takes off money for wear and tear.
You’ll need to include copies of all paperwork that will help your claim, including receipts or medical certificates. You should also keep copies of the originals in case your claim is queried or refused.
Your insurer may ask if you have other insurance that may cover the claim. You’ll need to let them know if you have other insurance that may also offer cover, for example, home contents insurance.
Do you have to claim on your insurance?
You don’t have to make a claim on your insurance policy, even if you’re entitled to do so. In some cases, if the amount is quite small, you may not want to make a claim because if you do so your future premiums could increase by more than the amount you have claimed.
However, it’s a good idea to make an insurance claim if someone has been injured. Personal injuries can be expensive, and they can leave long-term health problems.
Even if you don’t want to make a claim on your insurance policy, you must always tell your insurer about an event. If you don’t report it, you may find that this leads to problems later on if you do want to make a claim.
In these cases unadox helps you to manage your documents, and analyze the amounts paid and being compensated. Sing up for a free beta account now.